Friday, February 11, 2011

As the Test Strip Fills

In world in which social networking is king, Twitter and Facebook definitely are the ones people know about. In the world of people dealing with diabetes either type 1 or type 2 there are sites out there as well. One being Juvenation while there is another one out there called TUDiabetes. Both sites offering a place for people to chat, talk, find friends, you know all the stuff out there designed to find our own "community" so to speak.

The thing that gets me is the characters that are out there, those who join the sites for various reasons. Support, friendship, just to overcome depression, newly diagnosed, and just for all and all joy in talking to those who understand what it truly means to be a person with diabetes. Where if we use certain terms it is all good, where SWAG bolus' is a normal phrase or when someone talks about how they have been high for two days straight no one looks at them funny. It's great, it's fun, and well it is normally a very welcoming community to all, even those who are just seeking attention (but that is a whole different issue).

Anyway as things come up in these conversations, one thing led to another and well it seemed like we had a small soap opera going on right in the middle of the forums. I for one was very entertained. As this continued though, it was mentioned that was a Soap Opera was forming and it needed a name. For me I really started to think about this, and concluded that the greatest name for a Diabetes themed Soap Opera would be "As the Test Strip Fills". This led to other thoughts and ideas though. If someone were cast to play you in this new Soap Opera, who would you have do it?
The answer is not as simple as one would think if you were being honest with yourself. I mean you would want an actor to be able to portray you in the essence of who you truly are. I mean, how awesome would it be to try and get Christian Bale or Orlando Bloom to play me? Cool, but come on Depp is to old, Bloom is well yeah. I mean to get to the character that makes me who I am. I don't know.

We are all complex characters, living with diabetes adds a whole new level to who is playing us. I mean anyway can imitate my sarcasm and sense of humor, well not anyone but many can nail that. But what about the rest of me? The other side of things to go through the sweats, shakes, black outs (thankfully none in the past year). To go through the annoyance at times of testing high and trying to figure out what the heck I just ate that did that to me. To show the vulnerability when I am just to tired to care, yet know I need to move forward with all things D, for my well being and the well being of those around me. It adds something. I don't know about this. In the end I think I know who I think would do a great job at being me, well other than myself of course. I would have it be either Elijah Wood even though he is like 6 inches shorter than myself or maybe Tobey Maguire. They might just get me.

But "As the Test Strip Fills", needs more actors. Who would be you and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment